History (and Geography) of Haiphong
Hai Phong is located in northeastern Vietnam, on the mouth of the Cam River. It shares coastline with the Gulf of Tonkin, and is west of the famed Ha Long Bay. Haiphong city, the economic center of Haiphong province, has been an influential area of life, trade, and war for over 2,000 years dating back to a Chinese rebellion under the female general Le Chan in 43 A.D. In 1874, Haiphong city was officially incorporated strategically as a military seaport under French occupation. The name Hai Phong translates to Coastal Defense.
Today, Haiphong is the second largest industrial port in Vietnam, and the third most populous city in Vietnam. Haiphong has experienced strong growth over the past 60 years. Agriculture, shipbuilding, and manufacturing are the main export industries. As a result of the industry coupled with its geographic nature, Haiphong has become an indispensable seaport to Ha Noi, and is quickly developing more industrial land and port infrastructure to welcome anticipated future growth.
Major Characteristics of the Community:
QSI International School of Haiphong is located in a quiet, residential, and fairly affluent neighborhood in the Anh Dung Commune east of the city center roughly 12 km from the Gulf of Tonkin. The school functions as a central meeting point for many of the families before and after school. On any given day parents, students, and other groups will be found for maybe an hour after the close of the school day using the playground, gym, or classrooms for work or recreation.